Scientific Software Designer
Developers and project leader for research cloud infrastructure
The eScience center at the university of Southern Denmark (SDU), develops and supports e-Infrastructures dedicated to research in all fields. The center hosts the DeIC National HPC center, the largest supercomputing research facility in Denmark (deic.sdu.dk). We offer a stimulating environment with interesting challenges and the freedom to pursue your own ideas.
We are now looking for skilled software developers to create a pilot infrastructure for a research cloud service. One of the positions is reserved for a team leader for this project.
This is a national project in collaboration with partners from Aarhus university (AU), Aalborg university (AAU), and the Odense University Hospital (OUH) and partially funded by the Danish e-Infrastructure Cooperation (DeIC) and Denmark’s Electronic Research Library (DEFF).
The project involves the design and development of:
- a distributed cloud storage service for researchers;
- an interface to computing infrastructures, such as the national HPC center at SDU;
- an container system for scientific applications as a cloud computing service integrated with the cloud storage and HPC system.
We firmly believe in open-source and web technology as means to reach our goals. We expect you to be fluent in technologies and standards such as e.g. Linux, FreeBSD, KVM, Apache, PHP, Java, Perl, Python and you most likely have a background in data analytics, high performance computing (HPC) or web development.
- Design and development of the software stack for the research cloud infrastructure
- Developing and maintaining documentation for the infrastructure and applications
- Engaging with researchers – understanding specific data-management and computing needs
- Master or PhD in a relevant field of science or engineering
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Strong background with Linux and/or FreeBSD (system administrator level)
- Applicants for the team leader positions are expected to have demonstrated working experience in areas relevant for this job.
- Documented expertise in cloud technology and/or products such as, for example, Openstack, ownCloud/NextCloud, MongoDB, Docker is a plus.
- Familiarity with metadata standards, bioinformatics, biological data processing or computational biology methods is an advantage.
What we offer:
- a stimulating, international research environment with interesting challenges
- freedom to pursue your own ideas
- a unique development environment, including the largest supercomputer in Denmark.
The starting date for the job is as soon as possible in 2017, and it will be agreed with the candidates.
The duration of the appointment depends on the qualifications of the candidates and will be agreed with them. A long term appointment for the team leader is possible.
All inquiries are welcome. Please contact Prof. WSR Claudio Pica.
Appointment to the position will be in accordance with the salary agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations.
The University encourages all interested persons to apply, regardless of age, gender, religious affiliation, or ethnic background.
Attached files must be in Adobe PDF or Word format. Each box can only contain a single file of max. 10 Mb. We recommend that you read How to apply before you apply.
You can only apply for the position through our website www.sdu.dk/en/service/ledige_stillinger.
Your application must be registered in our system on the 15/02/2017 at 23.59.59 CET at the latest.