Programming Domain Manager
Where programming meets personnel management
About the Job
We are a social and creative group of people creating social and creative games for kids. We love to improve, to become more agile and to have a better state of flow. But more than anything we love making being a positive influence in the lives of the millions of kids that play our games.
As the Programming Domain Manager you are responsible for the programming domain in the Production Department. You will be the functional manager for all the programmers in our matrix organization and be responsible for attracting, developing and retaining top talent in collaboration with the Principal Programmer and HR. As part of this you will instill a learning mindset and nurture our culture of learning and curiosity. This also includes strategic development of our programming competences as well as individual development for each of our 30 programmers. Lastly you will also work with each team helping them improve their programming workflows and implement best practices tailored towards each team and individual.
- Hire developers who can help the team grow - and be instrumental in their successful integration in the teams
- Work with each programmer to reach their personal goals for learning and growth, through regular development talks and day to day feedback
- Develop a framework for training both new and seasoned developers that allows for individual didactic needs
- Be responsible for the employee lifecycle management of our programmers and work with each to set and coach on career goals
- Gather input in each programmer’s performance from Leads, Product Owners and other relevant stakeholders
- Collaborate with Leads in implementing continuous improvements of our development methods and practices such as e.g. Agile Engineering
- You will also collaborate with a strong group of Leads to create an empowering and productive work environment
- You will report to the Chief Product Officer.
As a leader, your style is empathic and warm and you use your emotional intelligence to make sure that our programmers become the best possible versions of themselves.
You are a natural born leader and technical mentor with a calling to see potential in others and help them grow. You have a curiosity and thirst for knowledge that creates a natural culture of learning for those you lead. You are an analytical, logical and a structured builder of organizations and understand the human challenges of working on a large codebase and you know how to build a collaborative Agile Software Engineering environment to meet these challenges.
You believe that every kid should be empowered to be who they want to be and want to create a safe and fun environment for the millions of MSP kids who depend on you.
Required skills and experience:
- Working in an international environment where English in the working language
- Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- 10+ years’ experience in software development
- 2+ years’ experience leading and mentoring software developers
- 2+ years’ experience working with Agile, Scrum and XP
- Experience working with any of the following is a plus: Flash, Unity, Windows .Net (C#), AWS, MSSQL, NoSQL, MicroService Architecture, RESTful services, XMPP
- Experience with game development is a plus
MovieStarPlanet ApS is the company behind the games and social networks for kids age 8-13 years - MovieStarPlanet, BooniePlanet and RoboBlastPlanet. In the virtual worlds each user designs their own MovieStar avatar, Robot and Boonie, which are used to play the games, engage and have fun with other friends. In the games there is a wide spread of options to dress-up, chat with friends, design looks, making movies and scrapbooks, design clothes, building robots and play mini games.
Launched in Denmark in 2009, MovieStarPlanet ApS has since experienced explosive growth. Currently, the games are live in 16 countries across 11 European markets as well as the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Globally we rank among the most popular virtual worlds for the target group with more than 300 million registered profiles.
MovieStarPlanet ApS employs around 150 staff at the Headquarter based in the attractive surroundings of the new and modern part of Copenhagen called Ørestad, located very close to the city center and the metro line. Corporate language is English.
Why Work With Us?
Touch the lives of millions of kids every day. You will get to be part of a fast growing company, producing one of the most popular games/social networks in the world for kids. Your colleagues are highly qualified, creative and friendly people. We are very ambitious and strive to connect kids in the best social network by developing and supporting the world´s most inspiring social network for kids by delivering safe digital entertainment for fun, creativity and sharing. We believe in learning by doing and taking ownership of tasks and projects so you will be given a lot of freedom and responsibility from day one!
MovieStarPlanet has around 30 nationalities working with us, which provides a vibrant atmosphere. We value diversity and believe this contributes to a greater variety of viewpoints, a broader range of individual talents and professional experience. Passion for people and the products makes us an inspiring, fun, casual and challenging place to work and creates an environment where ideas can flourish.
‘Social’ is both what we do and who we are – so every week there is always a social event going on ranging from Friday bars to casual game nights to running clubs. We have a canteen in the building so lunch is served just downstairs and we offer free fruit and healthy snacks on a daily basis. For our future foreign colleagues it could be interesting to know that we offer 5 weeks of vacation for all nationalities (paid when earned), free child 1st sick day and the right to take up to 52 weeks of combined parental leave.
So if you want to work with passionate colleagues who care for kids and work hard every day to give them the best platform to have fun with their friends then MovieStarPlanet is the right place for you.
How to Apply
Please apply for this position online by clicking the "Apply for this position" button. Your application should contain the following:
- A cover letter describing why you want to work at MovieStarPlanet as well as a short description about yourself
- Your CV detailing your work experience as well as educational background
Application deadline is as soon as possible. We will be holding interviews at the earliest convenience.