DevOps Engineer (AWS, Docker)
Take over and drive key aspects of our infrastructure, delivery process and development at GenieBelt.
Are you eager to develop your skill set as a DevOps Engineer in AWS and Docker in a team with a structured, agile process? Are you keen to do this in an international, trust-based, transparent startup environment where everyone is encouraged to speak up? Would you love seeing the tools you help building being used on $7b of real construction projects in 1500+ cities?
If this sounds like you, read on!
GenieBelt is redefining planning, collaboration and communication in the construction industry worldwide, working out of Copenhagen, Lódz and London. We help customers in 30+ countries to run their construction projects better. To maintain this growth going, we need to continue to make our infrastructure more useful for our developers.
That’s where you come in.
As a DevOps Engineer, you will quickly get involved in shaping and handling key areas of our delivery and development process. You’ll receive honest feedback and challenging work to help you grow and develop. We’ll encourage you to take on as much responsibility as you can handle and suggest improvements and maintain key areas such as AWS Infrastructure, Disaster recovery, Security, Scalability, Redundancy, Continuous Delivery, etc.
Here’s the development process you’ll work within:
- We use an agile development process inspired by Scrum and Kanban.
- Our sprints are generally 2 weeks long, so you’ll quickly experience the software development process multiple times.
- You’ll understand why you’re building what you’re building. We don’t want you to feel like a small cog in a big machine.
- You get to choose what you work on and how to approach it in each sprint.
- You have experience of doing DevOps in a team environment
- You have a CS degree or equivalent, preferably with good knowledge of AWS and Docker
- You have experience working in SQL with Postgres, MySQL, or similar
- You either already know Terraform, RabbitMQ and Redis, or can pick them up quickly
- Knowledge of Ruby on Rails is a plus
- You’re able to freely give and seek feedback
- You are comfortable with managing yourself and prefer to deliver without needing to be supervised closely
Working with the VP of Engineering, you’ll be responsible for maintaining GenieBelt’s AWS infrastructure. This includes:
- Ensuring the infrastructure is configured suitably for scalability and is suitably redundant
- Defining, monitoring, triaging, and doing 1st-level fixing of alerts
- Defining (and, if necessary, executing) disaster recovery plans
- Building docker images; updating them suitably when necessary
- Managing licenses, system access, security policies
- Maintaining various internal systems, such as our continuous integration server, our automated test systems, etc.
- Actively picking up other things that need doing
GenieBelt is a 3.5 year old startup with 30+ people. We are growing rapidly and our team has increased by 100% since last summer. We have a spacious HQ office in downtown Copenhagen right by Rådhuspladsen and can see City Hall and Tivoli. Our people come from 10+ countries, including crackpots who like to build their office furniture from scrap construction items. We believe in clear commitments and respectful disagreements, we support each other. Instead of “scheduled fun” we try to have a social work environment where people can become friends. GenieBelt is also a transparent and egalitarian environment: everyone knows each other and everyone knows how the company is doing.
GenieBelt offers 25 days of paid holiday a year and flexible hours around core hours of 9:30 to 3:30. We offer catered lunches every single day where everyone eats together. Our sociable, spacious, central office in Copenhagen is a relaxed, fun space with a football table, fish nets hanging from the ceiling, tea and coffee, daily fruit, occasional cakes on Wednesdays and free beer on Fridays. There’s also occasional travel to Poland to meet and work with our Polish team.
We believe teams are stronger when they are diverse. We strive to be inclusive and transparent in our recruitment and in the way we approach our work, and we avoid office politics and gossip.