Senior Backend Engineer
Make a difference for our backend at GenieBelt.
Are you eager to not only show your backend skills but to challenge our current structure? Are you keen to do this in an international, trust-based, transparent startup environment where everyone is encouraged to speak up? Would you love seeing the tools you help building being used on $7b of real construction projects in 1500+ cities?
If this sounds like you, read on!
GenieBelt is redefining planning, collaboration and communication in the construction industry worldwide, working out of Copenhagen, ?ód? and London. We help customers in 30+ countries to run their construction projects better. To maintain this growth going, we need to continue to make our backend infrastructure more robust.
That’s where you come in.
As a senior developer, you’ll work on adding, maintaining, and refactoring our Ruby on Rails server software. You’ll design RESTful interfaces, optimize database queries, and help drive the future of our server-side development. You’ll work with our cloud-based deployment infrastructure and help ensure that our services are scalable and resilient. You’ll have a lot of opportunities to work on adding new features to the product as well as expanding on and maintaining the old.
Here’s the development process you’ll work within:
- We use an agile development process inspired by Scrum and Kanban.
- Our sprints are generally 2 weeks long, so you’ll quickly experience the software development process multiple times.
- You’ll understand why you’re building what you’re building. We don’t want you to feel like a small cog in a big machine.
- You get to choose what you work on and how to approach it in each sprint.
- Your input is valued: You’ll work closely with other developers, the product owner, and designers, and your thinking will be an important contribution to the team.
- You have a MSc/CS degree or equivalent
- You have experience with Ruby on Rails
- You don’t shy away from working in other languages as necessary (e.g. Python, Bash shell scripting, etc).
- Front-end development experience, particularly with React/Redux, Flow, and allied frameworks is a plus
- You have experience with scalable server infrastructure. Preferably you have experience with a message bus such as AMQP (eg. RabbitMq), as well as an in-memory store such as Redis
- You have experience working in SQL with Postgres, MySQL, or similar
- Experience with AWS, Docker, Terraform and similar infrastructure and containerization tools is a plus
- You’re able to freely give and seek feedback
- You are comfortable with managing yourself and prefer to deliver without needing to be supervised closely
- You know how to balance engineering a perfect solution and getting things done.
GenieBelt offers 25 days of paid holiday a year and flexible hours around core hours of 9:30 to 3:30. We offer catered lunches every single day where everyone eats together. Our sociable, spacious, central office in Copenhagen is a relaxed, fun space with a football table, tea and coffee, daily fruit, occasional cakes on Wednesdays and free beer on Fridays. There’s also occasional travel to Poland to meet and work with our Polish team.
GenieBelt is a 4 year old startup with 30+ people. We are growing rapidly and our team has increased by 100% since last summer. We have a spacious HQ office in downtown Copenhagen right by Rådhuspladsen and can see City Hall and Tivoli. Our people come from 10+ countries, including crackpots who like to build their office furniture from scrap construction items. We believe in clear commitments and respectful disagreements, we support each other. Instead of “scheduled fun” we try to have a social work environment where people can become friends. GenieBelt is also a transparent and egalitarian environment: everyone knows each other and everyone knows how the company is doing.
We believe teams are stronger when they are diverse. We strive to be inclusive and transparent in our recruitment and in the way we approach our work, and we avoid office politics and gossip.