Senior Linux Engineer
The Bank for International Settlements (BIS) is an international organisation promoting global monetary and financial stability and is a bank for central banks. The BIS’s head office is located in Basel, Switzerland, with representative offices in Hong Kong SAR and Mexico City. We are able to recruit globally, regardless of nationality, and offer competitive employment packages.
We are looking for a Senior Linux Engineer (with the corporate job title of Senior Systems Engineer) to join the team responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of enterprise-class software and hardware in a Microsoft and Linux Red Hat environment. The ideal candidate is a creative, solution-oriented and communicative team player, comfortable in both a highly technical environment and a relationship management role. He/she takes a proactive business-focused approach when dealing with both internal and external clients and providers, and offers third level support when required.
- Implementation and maintenance of core server, networking, and infrastructure application technologies.
- Support and maintenance of business-critical infrastructure applications including the application of industry best practices.
- Testing, coordination and implementation of both release-based and environment design changes.
- IT project management.
- Proactive management of service providers with an emphasis on efficiency and quality.
- Business-oriented customer relationship management with a focus on high quality of service and clear communication.
- Willingness to work outside normal working hours during service windows and to provide on-call cover for evenings and weekends.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- University degree in computer science or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with a broad range of technologies in enterprise-class environments including:
- Design, installation, operation, monitoring and support of Red Hat Linux based infrastructures.
- Automation, ideally bash and Perl.
- Monitoring, ideally Nagios.
- Backup, ideally Avamar
- Virtual and/or converged infrastructures (e.g. VMWare).
- Proven track record in third-level support and design input in an enterprise environment.
- IT project management experience.
- Broad understanding of ITIL fundamentals and their application in a business environment.
- Experience with outsource service provider management and/or customer management.
- Creative, customer-oriented problem-solving approach.
- Strong communication and presentation skills and the ability to negotiate effectively.
- Excellent command of English.
The BIS’s head office is located in Basel, Switzerland, with representative offices in Hong Kong SAR and Mexico City. We are able to recruit globally, regardless of nationality, and offer competitive employment packages. The BIS employs staff on both open-ended and fixed-term contracts. However, all new entrants are initially recruited on a fixed-term basis. The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff. We encourage applications from female candidates.
Application deadline: 29/10/2017.