Production Operations Manager
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a forward thinking experienced individual to join the Data Center Operations Team. The person should enjoy working in a fast paced environment where adaptability and flexibility is key to their success. This position is full-time and will be based in Odense, Denmark.
We seek an IT professional with management and leadership experience and advanced hands-on technical skills in Server Hardware, Project Management, Quality Management, Data Analytics, Networks, OS repair, Linux and Automation (ideally in a datacenter environment). Having depth and breadth knowledge of managing servers in a large-scale distributed environment is a core competency of this individual.
The Production Operations Manager is responsible for managing and maintaining server production including uptime, utilisation, systemic technical issues and repairs throughout the Data Center.
- Establishing and managing a Data Center Operations Team responsible for the maintenance and operation of server hardware and supporting infrastructure at scale.
- Responsible for the health of server capacity delivering Facebook’s products and services from the datacenter site, and for ensuring operational delivery through collaboration and partnership with both remote and local peer organizations
- Work with peer organizations and regional teams that affect and deliver services to datacenter operations such as network operations, project management, facilities/maintenance management, logistics, hardware design, automated tooling and supply chain operations in order to successfully maintain datacenter capacity to support ongoing business growth
- Mentoring and developing engineers and technicans such that they can run daily operations with minimal supervision
- Build and lead a diverse, world-class datacenter operations team, developing both the technical capabilities and leadership qualities of engineers and techncians
- Collaborating with other Production Operations Managers in datacenter sites around the globe to evolve and optimize processes and approaches in a globally consistent way to allow Facebook to scale and grow effectively.
- Creating and driving a culture of ownership, innovation, collaboration, accountability, and safety. Support and contribute thought leadership to the development and implementation of business practices, process and automated tooling which support the growth and ongoing management of our global datacenter IT footprint
- Manage server upgrades, integration, automated OS provisioning process, rebuilds and other projects as required. Understand and debug network, hardware, and Linux OS related issues.
- Identify and support the creation of documentation for the global DC knowledge base.
- Implement process improvements and inform best practices in data center operations.
- Predicting data center growth and scaling issues before they occur and implement solutions.
- Deep understanding and ownership of a hyper-scale computing fleet through the use of data trending and analysis to identify trends and systemic issues
- reporting out globally as required.
- Drive specifications for tooling and automation that facilitate deployment, monitoring, automated remediation and decommissioning of server hardware at scale.
- BS or BA in technical field or commensurate experience
- Management of 5+ technical resources for 4+ years.
- Comfortable with Linux and hardware systems support in an Internet operations environment.
- Familiarity with Python, SQL and/or shell scripting knowledge
- 4+ years of experience in large-scale data center hardware deployments and building scalable infrastructure is desired.
- 2+ years of managing multiple projects within the same time schedule.
- Should have a solid understanding of enterprise level infrastructure.
- Should have an understanding of out-of-band/lights-out server communication methods, such as IPMI and serial console.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess excellent time and project management skills.
- Experience training, mentoring, and leading other engineers and technicians.