Datacenter and Virtualisation Infrastructure Architect
Maersk Line, the global containerised division of the A.P. Moller – Maersk Group, is dedicated to delivering the highest level of customer-focused and reliable ocean transportation services. Our vision, built from a strong heritage of uprightness, constant care, and innovation, has guided our business operations since the first Maersk Line vessel sailed in 1904. By remaining committed to that vision we have expanded our business to become the world’s largest ocean carrier. And we are consistently recognized as the most reliable container shipping company in the world. Maersk Line offers a competitive salary and good benefits package (details dependent on working location).
Maersk Line has embarked on a transformation journey, focusing on a long-term strategy to remain best in class in an industry that is increasingly volatile. At the very core of this strategy lies IT. Viewed as a significant enabler of our company strategy, IT is an area where our top management has made and will continue to make increasing investments in. In Maersk Line IT, we actively engage the business and deliver its needs while undergoing our own transformation. We aim to be a world-class professional IT organisation that delivers business value through automation, standardisation, increased forecasting capabilities and proactive handling of the market. These are levers that our leadership rely on to maintain a strong and stable presence in the market. We further aim to establish one global platform on which we effectively build systems that allow us to differentiate from our competitors in the market.
Maersk Line is a highly international and inspiring environment with an attractive value proposition for its employees. Our package consists of an externally benchmarked salary, pension scheme, 25 days holiday a year and a number of other attractive benefits.
The Datacenter and Virtualisation Infrastructure Architect is the Design Authority within the Datacenter and Virtualisation space, and responsible for the design of optimal infrastructure that delivers the IT infrastructure foundation. This role will support a variety of Datacenter and Virtualisation related projects, across on-premises, hybrid and public cloud environments.
The architect will be accountable for
- Overall direction, guidance, and definition of the group’s datacenter and virtualisation infrastructure architecture to support the corporate business strategy.
- Ensuring compliance of the overall IT infrastructure to architectural standards, such as scalability, ease of integration, and portability.
- Managing creation and alignment of release plans and ensuring automation of system changes where possible.
- Developing business integration and testing approaches, including automation.
- Engagement with Production Services to understand problems with the environment affecting their area of expertise.
- Maintaining and drawing on an external network of resources (e.g. vendors, industry contacts).
- Having direct or indirect involvement in the development of policies, standards and guidelines that direct the selection, development implementation and use of IT systems within the infrastructure domain.
The architect will be responsible for
- Maintaining reference architecture and roadmaps for their area of expertise.
- Being part of all projects related to datacenter and virtualisation infrastructure platforms.
- Keeping a good dialogue with the service owner, SME´s etc. and act as technical pre-sales and governance oversight with internal customers.
- Driving new innovations in the datacenter and virtualisation space in close dialogue with service owners, and be an enabler and accelerator of improvements.
- Architecting and designing solutions to business requirements in accordance to technology roadmaps, principles, standards and guidelines.
- Working with delivery teams to develop sustainable and achievable solutions.
- Alignment of technology to business strategy to energize business outcomes.
- Ensure technology is scalable, uses the principles of re-use, cost optimization, etc.
- Actively working with projects to improve and communicate architecture standards and design patterns.
- Providing hands-on guidance, support, and review for the creation of all technical components within the big data analytics space.
We are looking for
The candidate should have excellent written and verbal skills in English, with a university background. The employment history will include time spent in a variety of roles, and ideally a period working for a supplier or consultancy across multiple blue-chip customer facing engagements.
Key skills required:
- 10 years IT experience.
- 3 years in an architecture role.
- 5 years leading the design and delivery of Datacenter and Virtualisation environments.
- 2 years exposure to Hybrid and Public Cloud environments.
- Strong market knowledge of vendors providing datacentre and virtualisation infrastructure and related products.
- Datacenter design and architecture.
- Microsoft Service Fabric, Hyper-V.
- Hardware (Intel, hyper-converged infrastructure, engineered appliances, IBM Mainframe and Power).
- Networks (LAN, WAN, load-balancers, firewalls).
- Core IT services (Active Directory, DHCP, DNS).
- Storage (local, SAN, NFS, dark fibre, Cloud storage).
- Backup (e.g. TSM, Commvault, Actifio, Veeam).
- Architecting within in a hybrid and public cloud environment (preferably Azure, Bluemix, Oracle).
- Disaster recovery in a hybrid and public cloud environment (dark site).
- Managed service contracts.
Desirable technical skills:
- An Operations background (monitoring, backups, disaster recovery) VDI and Per App VPN.
- Supporting requirements of traditional database and middleware (including Oracle, IBM and Microsoft stacks).
- Supporting requirements of modern container based database and middleware.
- Product and Vendor Evaluation (contribute).
For further information, please contact: Jay Rayment firstname.lastname@example.org
Last application date: 30/4/2018
Maersk Line is the world’s largest container shipping company, known for reliable, flexible and eco-efficient services. We operate 610 container vessels and provide ocean transportation in all parts of the world. But not only do we power some of the world’s largest ships – we also propel the growth ambitions of businesses and individuals all over our planet. Every day our 7,000 seafarers and 25,000 land-based employees at 374 offices share their expertise with our customers around the world to optimize their supply chains, maximize their distribution networks and most of all realize their business potential. We are devoted to creating simple and reliable solutions for our partners, continuously lifting industry standards and enabling global trade in the most sustainable manner possible. What we do is more than shipping. We deliver promises. Promises from customers and businesses all over the world. Your promise. Delivered.