Database administrator at the National Genome Center
We are looking for a Database administrator with a strong focus on performance and scalability to join our new operations unit at the National Genome Center.
If you are interested in a unique opportunity to be involved and put your mark on the development on the new infrastructure for personalized medicine in Denmark you should consider applying for this position.
About us / National Genome Center
In December 2016, the Danish Government and Danish Regions launched the national strategy for Personalised Medicine. The strategy lays the foundation for a balanced development of Personalised Medicine in Denmark for the benefit of patients – now and in the future.
The National Genome Center is established as part of the realisation of the national strategy for Personalised Medicine 2017-2020 and is intended to ensure governance and coordination of the strategy’s initiatives at the national level. The center’s primary task is to lay the foundation for the development of better diagnostics and more targeted treatments using whole genome sequencing.
In order to achieve this goal, the National Genome Center’s core mission is, in cooperation with the Danish Regions and universities, to establish and operate a national technological infrastructure with sufficient capacity to handle a significant increase in the use of whole genome sequencing in the Danish healthcare system and associated needs for data analysis, interpretation, storage, knowledge sharing, and research.
The National Genome Center is located at Ørestads Boulevard 5, 2300 København S, together with Statens Serum Institute and the Danish Health Data Authority. The center is expected to become an organization with a core of approx. 40 employees including a separate organization in relation to IT infrastructure (HPC systems, etc.). Broad cooperation across the country with regions, universities, organizations, etc. is essential for Center's work.
More information about the national strategy for Personalised Medicine and the National Genome Center is to be found at www.sum.dk under “Tema”.
About the position
You will as our new Database Administrator be managing high performance databases at the national platform as well as participate in designing and implementing new databases.
Our technology stack:
- Open stack & Spark
- PostgreSQL/MySQL, Elastic, Neo4j.
You will be managing systems for exploring, interacting with the data coming from various sources such as our internal systems and external providers. Your responsibilities will relate mostly to the backend systems.
Your main tasks would include:
- Developing new architectures and systems while maintaining clean and coherent infrastructure
- Performance and maintaining systems
- Optimising queries and fine-tuning
- Collaborating with the project partners outside of the team if needed
- Participate and manage design and deployment of the new systems
- Maintaining user-facing documentation and description of the system
- Ensuring compliance of the system and liaise in with the data protection team
- Participating in regular meetings where the team members altogether discuss the progress and the next steps.
Your education and experience
A degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Data Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
Required qualifications include:
- Experience with using REST APIs
- Proven track record
- Relevant experience
- Invest time in new upcoming technologies.
It would be a plus to have experience with:
- Open stack
- Managing Linux servers
- Data lake architecture
- Agile development (Scrum etc.)
We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international atmosphere with the focus on innovation, in an ambitious environment. We place emphasis on a high level of professionalism among our staff, so skills development is an integral part of our organization. We offer a great flexibility in the position.
Salary and appointment terms
Depending on your educational background salary and appointment terms will be bases on either
- the collective agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Federation of Professional Associations (AC) (overenskomst for akademikere i staten). Depending on your academic qualifications and experience there is a possibility of being classified as a special or senior consultant according to appendix 4 (protocol concerning special- and senior consultants).
- the organizational agreement between The Danish Finance Ministry and the Organisation for Salaried Employees HK/Stat (Organisationsaftale for kontorfunktionærer, laboranter og it-medarbejdere (HK)), according to chapter 5 in the agreement and the collective agreement between The Danish Finance Ministry and the Organisation of Public Employees (OAO-S-Fællesoverenskomsten).
The position is a full time position and is available from December 1st 2018.
For further information about the job you are welcome to contact head of the infrastructure of the National Genome Center, Peter Løngreen, (phone 29 44 14 99).
Click “apply online” to send your job application with curriculum vitae and diploma / exam certificates before October 14th 2018. The first round of interviews is expected to be held from October 15th till October 19th 2018 (week 42) and second round of interviews is expected to be held from October 22nd till October 26th 2018 (week 43).
The Ministry of Health have non-smoking working hours.
We encourage everyone who are interested to apply to the position – regardless of age, gender, religion, disabilities or ethnicity.