Engineering Manager - Guide Scale and Cloud-native
Do you want to play a vital role in bringing our industry into a new era of software-defined disruption? Do you want to work for a SaaS company that has a clear commitment to drive a cloud-native transformation of its products and infrastructure?
Zendesk is looking for an Engineering Manager to join Zendesk Guide, a product used by millions of people every day.
As an Engineering Manager at Zendesk, you will utilize both your leadership and your technical expertise to guide and enable our teams of talented engineers. You’ll provide coaching and mentorship for one or two teams (5-10 people) with a focused mission.
Your team will build solutions based on stream-processing (Kafka), container orchestration system (Kubernetes and Docker) and all the way to Service-Meshes.
We’re looking for an experienced people manager with good coaching skills, a pragmatic outlook, and past experience growing teams. You’ll have the skills, experience, wisdom, patience, and confidence to work with the team to deliver high-quality software to meet our customers' needs.
You will work with tech leads to ensure they make good architectural decisions, balanced by the reality of Zendesk Guide's business strategy. You will help makeing Zendesk Guide a Cloud-Native application and to bring it to the next level in terms of orchestration, reliability, and stability using cloud functionalities as they are supposed to. Guide is made by different services that need to be robust, scalable and maintainable.
As a leader, you’ll ensure that teams are shipping architecturally sound software at a regular cadence. You will make sure teams are having an open and productive retrospective on a regular basis and taking action to ensure their process evolves and continuously improves.
Furthermore you will:
- Contribute to discussions on the technical roadmap necessary to enable future product and business goals.
- Collaborate with the Product team to clarify, refine and communicate product priorities.
- Create a diverse and inclusive working environment where people can thrive.
- Have regular, open, action orientated 1:1s with your team members.
- Help your team members set specific, achievable goals that will bring them to the next level and further their careers.
- Lead the recruitment of new team members and facilitate a speedy engaged interview process.
- Provide regular feedback to people you manage in a caring and direct way.
- Identify blockers, problems or red flags within the teams you are responsible for and ensure the teams are aware of these and take timely action to deal with them.
What you bring to the role:
- A few years of experience managing people across one or more teams.
- Previous experience as a software engineer, ideally working on product teams in startups.
- Sound understanding of web application development and agile development practices.
- A commitment to realiability with quality, robust, stable software, and the knowledge and skills to steer a team to deliver to these expectations.
- Passion for problem-solving and a desire to deliver software that’ll make the users’ lives easier.
- The ability to be direct and tackle issues head-on when needed, without being uncaring.
- Mindfulness and an ability to stay calm when others get flustered.
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Refined prioritization skills, to focus your time and energy where it’ll have the most impact.
- A dedication to continual self-development.
The best customer experiences are built with Zendesk. Zendesk’s powerful and flexible customer service and engagement platform scales to meet the needs of any business, from startups and small businesses to growth companies and enterprises. Zendesk serves businesses across a multitude of industries, with more than 125,000 paid customer accounts offering service and support in more than 30 languages. Headquartered in San Francisco, Zendesk operates worldwide with 15 offices in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk’s use of your personal information.