Frontend Performance Engineer
Zendesk Guide is a smart knowledge base for better self-service and empowered agents. At the core of the product lies a fully customizable end-user experience that resembles our customers’ branding. This is delivered with tools like Theming Center - a custom templates manager, offline editor integration and previewing system - and Curlybars - an open-source templating engine.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer focused on Frontend Performance & Reliability Optimization to improve our end-user experience while reducing the impact of customizations on our infrastructure.
What you get to do every day:
- Identify, develop and maintain a backlog of frontend performance improvements
- Advocate for web performance and stay up to date on performance best practices
- Work with Guide product teams to improve performance across the board and with Operations to identify abnormal usage of resources
- Work with large customers, via their Success reps, Zendesk partners and Professional Services, to advise on performant ways to address their specific needs
- Analyse and improve the performance of theme components rendering
- Automate performance analysis to provide instant feedback to theme developers
- Collaborate with our Site Reliability and Global Platform Capacity teams
What you bring to the role:
- You have worked professionally for 3+ years with frontend frameworks and libraries
- You have experience in performance profiling and debugging tools across multiple web browsers
- You are comfortable with build tools such as Webpack and understand how to customize and optimize beyond out-of-the-box configurations
- You are passionate about maintainability and scalability
- You show excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal
- You completed a bachelor in Computer Science or equivalent (In lieu of degree, 3+ years relevant work experience)
- Ideally, you are familiar with Ruby on Rails and how its rendering pipeline is architected
At Zendesk, we truly believe that to build a phenomenal experience you need great people. We enjoy working with other qualified, focused people who care about both the product and the code they write. We value collaboration and test-driven development and release frequently.We like and use agile processes and believe that pragmatism always triumphs over dogmatism. We are all responsible for what we deliver and enjoy the impact we have improving it.
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth.
More than 100,000 paid customer accounts in over 150 countries and territories use Zendesk products. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk’s use of your personal information.