Assistant/Associate Professor of Informatics
Department of People and Technology, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as associate professor / tenure-track assistant professor of Informatics from January 1st 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter. After a period (normally no less than 3 years), the assistant professor, following agreement and individual positive assessment, will transfer to a position as an associate professor.
IT systems have become a vital part of the infrastructure of modern human society. The design, construction, validation and evaluation of systems of ever-increasing complexity and sophistication brings research challenges, both basic and applied, that are addressed by the research groups "Sustainable Digitalization" and "Programming, Logic and Intelligent Systems". The successful candidate is expected to become affiliated with the research group Sustainable Digitalization (udi.ruc.dk).
Read more about Informatics at Roskilde University at ruc.dk/inf.
Responsibilities and tasks
The assistant professor’s work will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within Informatics. In addition to research and research-based teaching, the position also require sharing of knowledge with society – including participation in public debate. To a limited extent, this may also include performance of other activities.
The assistant professor’s work will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within Informatics. In addition to research and research-based teaching, the position also requires share of knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in public debate. To a limited extent, this may also include performance of other activities.
An assistant professor is also expected to complete the educational training programme for assistant professors at RUC (up to 220 hours).
The ideal candidate for the position as assistant professor is expected to:
- Develop a field of expertise by adding new significant elements to the doctoral thesis
- Demonstrate a steady rate of publications at international level.
- Present papers at international conferences
- Take part in generating external funds for own projects
- Take active part in a research group
- Teach at both BA and MA level
- Develop familiarity with principles and methods of problem-oriented project learning (PPL)
- Actively work with pedagogical development
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at the department
- Perform minor administrative tasks related to teaching and research
- Engage in and contribute to everyday life of the department by being present, attending seminars, meetings etc.
An associate professor’s tasks may also include performance of research management, educational guidance and supervision of assistant professors as well as academic assessment work.
The ideal candidate for the position as an associate professor is expected to:
- Accomplish research and engage in research collaboration meeting high international standards
- Contribute to the development of the research profile of the department
- Contribute to boost the international recognition of the research at the Department
- Engage in external fundraising to increase funds for the Department
- Play a role in developing the educational programmes of the Department
- Teach/supervise/assess PhDs, take part in the doctoral school’s teaching programme, and attract new PhD students
- Act as a mentor for junior researchers
- Contribute to the administrative responsibilities of the Department
- Participate in the Department’s communication with the broader public
- Take responsibility for the long-term well-being of the Department and RUC at large
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at the Department
- Promote RUC’s academic reputation.
The candidate for the position as associate professor is expected to be able and willing to broadly undertake teaching and tutoring in several of the department’s education programs:
- Computer science and informatics at bachelor and graduate level (ruc.dk/dat and ruc.dk/inf)
- The bachelor program in natural science and the bachelor program in humanities and technology
- (ruc.dk/naturvidenskabelig-bachelor and ruc.dk/humtek)
- The Master’s program in communication studies with it (ruc.dk/kommunikation-etfagskandidat)
- The Executive Master program in project and change management (ruc.dk/mpf).
The candidate is expected to teach full stack software development and programming of advanced interactive systems.
The candidate should be qualified to teach the design, construction and modeling of software, web-based it systems and complex user domains in several of our study programmes.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent within Informatics or a related field. The successful candidate is expected to become affiliated with the research group Sustainable Digitalization (udi.ruc.dk). We are looking for applicants with a research profile oriented towards the design, development and modeling activities in relation to the group’s new profile sustainable digitalization, and you are requested to relate your research to this group’s research profile.
The ideal candidate shall be enterprising and possess good communication skills and be a visible involved participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
The candidate is expected to
- Master Danish (or Swedish/Norwegian) to the degree that you can teach and supervise in Danish and participate in on-going administrative and collegial cooperation. If you do not master Danish, you are expected to follow classes and reach an acceptable level of Danish within a period of two years.
- Master English to the degree that you can teach and supervise in English.
Exclusively for associate professor:
- Documented research and teaching qualifications corresponding to what can be achieved through satisfactory appointment as an assistant professor in relation to the above subject area(s).
In the assessment of the candidates for at position as assistant professor consideration will be given to:
- research topic,
- scientific production,
- research prospective and the ability to promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching and education,
- other academic experience e.g.from organizing research conferences or seminars,
- ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation,
In the assessment of candidates for a position as associate professor consideration will be given to;
- research topic,
- scientific production beyond the contribution from the PhD,
- research prospective and the ability to promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching and education development and management,
- basis academic experience, preferably including international academic experience, e.g. from reviewing or editing academic papers and/or from organizing research conferences or seminars,
- ability to contribute to the development of the department’s internal and external cooperation.
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Department Anders Siig Andersen, firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (+45) 6020 1562.
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time and you will refer to Head of Department Anders Siig Andersen.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications the Head of Department will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and - later on - their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter (please indicate whether you wish to be assessed as assistant professor or assotiate professor)
- Documentation of education
- Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
- A 1 or 2-page description of how you can contribute to the teaching obligations and the research profile
- A complete list of publications
- A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
Please submit your application no later than October 7, 2019.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.