Data Engineer / ETL developer / Data Warehouse developer
Job Title: Data Engineer / ETL developer / Data Warehouse developer
Reports to/team: Tech team
Salary: Competitive for Not-for-Profit Organisation
Start Date: ASAP
Apply By: 23rd March 2021 [11:59pm CET]
EIT Climate-KIC (Knowledge and Innovation Community) is Europe’s foremost climate innovation initiative. Our mission is to leverage the power of innovation to build a zero-carbon, climate-resilient, just, and inclusive society. Climate-KIC’s strategy, Transformation, in Time, responds to the need for a 1.5° aligned, systemic approach to reversing global warming and developing climate resilience, commensurate with the complexity, scale and requisite pace of response to the climate challenge.
Established in 2010 and headquartered in Amsterdam, we orchestrate a community of more than 400 organisations comprised of large corporations and SMEs, municipal and regional governments, universities and research institutes, as well as non-governmental organisations and uncommon actors. We are an organisation of circa 160 people. We operate out of 13 hubs across Europe and conduct activities in 39 countries globally. We have historically managed €80-100 million per year in grants, provided predominantly by our founder and core funder, the European Institute for Innovation and Technology (EIT). We are transitioning to a multi-funder model with the objective of maintaining a flow of funds of circa €100 million annually to our community and to problem owners to deliver impact.
We use a portfolio approach for developing and deploying innovation, entrepreneurship, education and community mobilisation to unlock structural change in systems where emissions are tough to reduce – cities, land-use, industry, and finance. We do so by combining activities and innovation outputs from applied research, learning and reskilling, start-up incubation, movement building and innovation ecosystem building. Over the last ten years we have supported more than 4,500 businesses, in over 50 countries, that have gone on to attract over €1.5 bln of capital and featured regularly in the Forbes 30 under 30 European list. Our education programmes have influenced the lives of over 45,000 people who have launched a movement building alumni community. In 2019, we launched Deep Demonstrations, a demand-led methodology for composing innovation portfolios across technology, policy, finance, social change, citizen engagement, and other relevant levers of change, in order to generate options and test transition pathways for place-based systems and value chains.
Our goals for 2027 are to ensure that 200,000 people across Europe are equipped with enhanced climate-relevant innovation and entrepreneurial skills; 10 million people benefit from improved resilience to the impacts of climate change; 50 cities, countries, regions and large scale businesses across Europe are achieving net-zero as a result of partnership with EIT Climate-KIC; 500 million tons of CO2 eq. emissions have been avoided cumulatively (approx. 1/10 annual EU production) and we have succeeded in leveraging €100 bln to scale-up innovations tackling climate change. Ultimately, we aim to become a leader in systemic innovation that contributes to a paradigm shift from a linear, industrial production system to a circular, regenerative model, leveraging the power of our unique community of innovators and inspiring change beyond it.
Purpose of the role
Internal role title: Data Architect
Climate-KIC is a climate action organisation working on transformative, systemic innovation that involves many connected innovations. Our vision is for a prosperous, inclusive, climate-resilient society founded on a net zero-carbon, circular economy. We aim to take good ideas, products or services from niche to mainstream to reach a tipping point and create maximum climate impact.
As Data Architect [Data Engineer / ETL developer / Data Warehouse developer] you will work within the Tech team to understand and model our data to design, develop and maintain integrations and Data Warehouse solutions to support our business processes. You will be responsible for developing ETL jobs to move data between business systems and the data warehouse. As well you will be responsible for driving data warehouse architecture, integrating our data across platforms and develop and maintain a shared data model supporting our data analytics.
You will play a key role in our data governance, championing data literacy and best practice, setting out principles for data and reporting across platforms, aligning data and reports across platforms, establishing and maintaining master data management and monitor and improve data quality.
- Data integration: You need strong experience developing ETL, as well as experience developing integrations between systems, and data warehouse development. A solid background in developing and maintaining SQL server solutions, adept with complex SQL and implementing logical data models. You need strong experience with ESB and ETL tools, specifically Talend, as well as Data warehouse, specifically Snowflake.
- Data management: You will manage Climate-KIC data as strategic and valuable company assets, as well as guiding the organisation towards a more data-driven approach. You need a strong understanding of the conceptual and logical data models in Climate-KICs core business applications, specifically our Grant Management system, Plaza, our CRM system, SalesForce, our ERP and HR systems, Xero, ApprovalMax, Cezanne and Unit4, and the ability to integrate the data.
- Data warehouse: Expertise in Data Warehouse solutions, an understanding of the broad technology landscape and the market. You need strong experiencemanaging and prescribe Data Warehouse architecture and in Data Warehouse administration, specifically Snowflake
- Data Architecture: Designing and implementing a data integration architecture that ties together the Climate-KICs application landscape and build out or data landscape to deliver the right quality solutions at the right price - being pragmatic yet ambitious.
- Security and compliance: You understand GDPR requirements and can design and implement solutions that are both secure and compliant, as well as manage security incidents in our data tools suite. You can manage our GDPR data tools, specifically DPOrganiser
- Agile Methodology: Strong experience with agile IT projects and continuous improvements.You need experience with continuous improvement of IT solutions. Familiarity with CI/CD Process, SCRUM, Agile methodology
- Data modeling: You will be helping projects and teams across the organisation to understand their data and processes though data mapping and modelling.
- Communication: You will be working with many different people across the organization, at times of high pressure. Your communication capabilities are vital to ensure your stakeholders are bought into the work we do together, understand complex processes, and work effectively with you.
- Data strategy: Developing and implementing Climate-KICs data strategy as the basis for the integration roadmap and for organising, governing, analysing, and deploying our information assets, as well as provide input to the IT architecture
- Data and analytics: You will be responsible for integrating our application landscape to provide quality data for furthering data driven decision making. You will be responsible for extracting, loading and transforming the data in our Data Warehouse – as well as improving data quality and developing master data dictionaries and guidances to help the projects model collect and model their data according to the common datalandscape
- Develop ETL to populate data warehouse from APIs
- Design and implement new data integrations and maintain and develop existing integrations
- Develop our Data Warehouse, integrating, cleaning and transforming our data and provide access to the data
- Manage our master data and develop and implement a shared data model and best practices for data modelling and collection across our application landscape
- Improve ways to mine, process, clean and verify the integrity of data used for analysis by setting up IT systems and developing policies and procedures
- Keep up to date with the product roadmap for our data tools and understand how to utilise to best support Climate-KIC’s needs
- Manage data architecture and keep aligned with the IT strategy and roadmap, investigate and evaluate new technologies.
- Interface between third party suppliers and Climate-KIC users to ensure business requirements are understood and delivered.
- Ensure that the data tools and integrations meet the security requirements and GDPR rules
- Support data owners and GDPR function with data compliance initiatives
What our teams will rely on you for:
- Coordinating deliverables and solutions across different IT platforms
- Effectively engaging and collaborating with implementation projects and colleagues to understand their data, integration and migration needs. Translating that into requirements and develop data integrations ad Data Warehouse to support those
- Contribute creatively to developing and implementing the IT strategy and roadmap, including emerging technologies
You bring the following mindsets:
- Proactive, service-oriented attitude
- Engagement and enthusiasm with both business and technology
- Technical and structured mindset
- Problem solver, bringing creative solutions to complicated problems
- Delivery focussed
- Analytical with attention to detail and ability to learn quickly and structure information to support decision making and planning
- Resilience; saying no respectfully but firmly; holding the line on compliance, rules, regulations, whilst recognising opportunities to be creative
- Optimistic with a can-do attitude
Climate-KIC values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background.
Your application should consist of a full curriculum vitae and a covering letter describing concisely how your profile, skills and experience meet the criteria outlined in the person specification, and outlining your interest in and vision for the role.
Please send your full application to email@example.com.
Please note that candidates must have the right to work in the EU prior to applying for the position.