Senior Back End Engineer
Do what you love. Love what you do.
At Workday, we help the world’s largest organizations adapt to what’s next by bringing finance, HR, and planning into a single enterprise cloud. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have fun, too. We put people first, celebrate diversity, drive innovation, and do good in the communities where we live and work.
About the Team
The Peakon team is driven by the belief that we can radically change the world of work. We believe that when an organisation listens to employee feedback and empowers every employee to drive the change they want to see, it can create more fulfilling jobs and grow in ways never before imagined.
We make it a priority to stay on the cutting edge of tech. We are highly motivated by learning and growing in our roles, and constantly evolving is a key part of that.
We are primarily hosted on Heroku and AWS, with an increasing number of our services moving to the latter. We use PostgreSQL (through RDS), Redis and ElasticSearch for storage.
We rely heavily on automated testing on all levels of the application, with thousands of tests checking every commit to our code base. We use Buildkite for continuous integration to make sure our most recent changes are always available to test, and we deploy code to our production environment on a daily basis.
About the Role
You will be joining the Peakon Foundation team as a Senior Back End Engineer. The role of the Foundation team is to provide a scalable and reliable platform for other Peakon teams to build upon. You will be driving technological excellence in every aspect of the core platform, and make sure Peakon continues to support the needs of customers of all sizes.
You will be a key contributor in technical and architectural discussions within the backend engineering team, working closely with peers and engineering leaders to drive the technical direction of our platform forward.
You also support your team members directly with continuous feedback through collaborative code reviews, technical mentoring and coaching.
- Be a key member of a cross-functional team in an agile environment
- Collaborate with other engineers, designers, the team’s product manager and QAs to build and deliver impactful features for senior leaders at enterprise-level companies who use Peakon
- Regularly review and discuss other engineer’s code to find the best solution for the problem at hand
- Participate and provide guidance in architectural discussions around changes of high complexity with other engineers at all levels
- Use your technical expertise to contribute towards building a best-in-class product
- You are an engineer at heart, who loves to tinker and build things
- You have experience operating and maintaining medium to large scale web applications built with Node.js
- You have a product mindset and enjoy experimenting to find innovative solutions to customer needs
- You have a solid understanding of agile product development and what it takes to bring a product from idea into the hands of customers
- You are an effective communicator who can provide the right level of technical detail relevant to a particular audience
- You are able to quickly and accurately break down, estimate, prioritise, and deliver projects of high technical complexity
- You are looking for an opportunity to grow your career in a fast-moving, growing company, and help shape the engineering culture and the technologies behind it.
- You are you! We want you to bring your true self to work, so you can help us shape our engineering culture!
Workday is an Equal Opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.