Manager, Software Development Engineering
Do what you love. Love what you do.
At Workday, we help the world’s largest organizations adapt to what’s next by bringing finance, HR, and planning into a single enterprise cloud. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have fun, too. We put people first, celebrate diversity, drive innovation, and do good in the communities where we live and work.
About the Team
As we grow the Peakon engineering team at Workday, we are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead one of our product teams in Copenhagen. Peakon teams own their roadmap, work collaboratively and include engineering, UI/UX design, and product management.
The Peakon team at Workday is driven by the belief that we can radically change the world of work. We believe that when an organisation listens to employee feedback and empowers every employee to drive the change they want to see, it can create more fulfilling jobs and grow in ways never before imagined.
We’re in the business of creating great places to work, so it should be no surprise that being a great place to work is our highest priority. With ambitions as big as ours, we see individual growth and development as the key strategy for growing our business.
About the Role
As an active member of the team, you’ll directly manage 3-6 engineers at varying experience levels and stages in their career. You’ll work one to one with engineers to help them set and achieve goals, develop new skills, and support their overall career progression and personal development. You’ll also play a key role in hiring additional members of your team as we continue to grow the Peakon engineering team at Workday.
As Engineering Manager, you’ll be responsible for executing on the product vision, working closely with the Product Manager and other stakeholders to scope, refine and break down projects, ensuring a high level of quality and timely delivery of your team’s projects. You’ll guide the day-to-day technical work of the team, focusing on sound architecture, quality and building the right things, the right way.
As part of the Peakon team at Workday, you'll:
- Be the people leader for 3-6 engineers of various disciplines and experience levels
- Work closely with our talent acquisition team to define a hiring process for your team that ensures we hire the best talent
- Provide guidance to members of your team, knowing when to coach and when to mentor
- Use your technical expertise to contribute towards building a best-in-class product
- Set your team up for success by removing obstacles and supporting their personal and professional growth
- Collaborate with the Product Manager to plan and prioritise work on your team’s roadmap
- Be a member of the wider Engineering Management team, meeting regularly with peers from other teams to discuss best practices and challenges.
We make it a priority to stay on the cutting edge of tech. We are highly motivated by learning and growing in our roles, and constantly evolving is a key part of that.
We are primarily hosted on Heroku and AWS, with a growing number of our services moving to the latter. We use PostgreSQL (through RDS), Redis and ElasticSearch for storage.
We rely heavily on automated testing on all levels of the application, with thousands of tests checking every commit to our code base.
We use Buildkite for continuous integration to make sure our most recent changes are always available to test, and we deploy code to our production environment every day.
- You are an engineer at heart, with a genuine interest in technology and people.
- You prefer the challenge, and reward, of working with a team towards a common goal, rather than trying to reach it alone.
- You value trust, transparency and accountability.
- You are passionate about building and leading an inclusive and diverse team
- You are able to clearly communicate expectations, and are quick to recognize when someone goes above and beyond to deliver a great result.
- You have a good understanding of agile product development and what it takes to bring a product from idea into the hands of customers
- You are passionate about finding ways to develop people and improve processes
- You are looking for an opportunity to grow your career in a fast-paced, growing company
- You are you! We want you to bring your true self to work, so you can help us craft the engineering culture within the Peakon team at Workday!