Software engineer for sustainability
Join us leveraging environmental data for sustainable development in global ecosystems and water environments with clean and efficient software and cloud-native applications.
At DHI, our mission is to work for our blue planet. We excel in disciplines of engineering and science that are targeted towards understanding and protecting the environment and managing resources sustainably for our clients and common good. As a global not-for-profit organization of great credibility and respect in our industry, our goal is to have great impact on solving pressing environmental challenges through advanced digital and technology-enabled advisory.
This software engineer role is in the data and analytics section of DHI, where we specialize on expertise about environmental data from space satellites, in-situ measurements, industrial sensors, as well as data analysis and assimilation, scalable processing and efficient dissemination. You will be part of a young and skilled team of five frontend and backend developers within a highly international and dynamic department of about 30 data and analytics specialists.
You will work on projects within DHI’s global advisory business, featuring global organizations like the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP), public bodies such as municipalities, and research drivers such as the European Space Agency (ESA). Often, we partner with other companies and work on highly technical projects. For instance, directly with teams at Google around Google Earth Engine and at Microsoft with Planetary Computer. Our tech stack favors open-source, is dev-friendly and cloud-first with a focus on best practice in Python for data engineering.
We are remote-friendly but also enjoy local interaction at DHI’s fresh and modern headquarters in the green DTU Science Park in Hørsholm.
- Join a small and dedicated team of five (and counting) frontend and backend developers
- Develop data-centric cloud applications with data streams, APIs, and algorithms
- Work on many new projects and prototypes and see them quickly and get in the hands of users
- Take an active role in projects and be open and transparent about your work
- Collaborate closely with our remote sensing experts and data analysts to build their knowledge into efficient software
- Write clean and reusable code and strive for best practice and dev-friendliness
- Build on and contribute to open-source software and social coding
- Keep progressing and learning through knowledge exchange and sparring across the global company
- Experienced or bright early-career
- Proficient in software development in Python (including Git/GitHub)
- Experienced in working with performant data processing
- Tech-affine with a sense for strengths and weaknesses of software and systems
- Not averse to some ETL work and creative to automate it away
- Used to relational databases like Postgres
- Acquainted with deploying services in clouds like Azure, AWS, or GCP
- Curious, self-driven, and a fast learner
- Good at communicating and proficient in English
- Proficient in one or more programming paradigms, such as OOP or functional
- Experience with Python for data, like Numpy, SciPy, Scikit-learn, Pandas, Xarray, Rasterio, and for APIs like Flask, FastAPI, Django
- Experience with physical and/or geospatial data
- Understanding of data flow automation and orchestration software like Prefect, Airflow, Dask
- Acquaintance with Kubernetes and experience with Docker
- Experience with CI/CD
- Understanding of infrastructure and configuration, e.g. with Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef
- Flair for light-weight deployment, dev-friendliness, low-maintenance
- A versatile and challenging job with focus on developing and expanding your skills and growing together
- A social and fun international working environment with innovative and dedicated colleagues, on Slack and in person
- Work on projects that have an immediate positive impact on environment and people and get great exposure internationally (ESA, public agencies, UN, NGOs, renewable energy industry, agriculture, …)
- Strong culture for feedback and recognition for your work
- Nice office space and equipment in DHI’s newly built headquarters in green surroundings in Hørsholm
- Delicious lunch prepared by our own kitchen, fruit, coffee, and tea
- Fun and varied company events like Friday bars, seasonal parties and outings
- A healthy work environment with room for family and social life
- Flexibility around working hours and remote work
Want to know more?
For further information please visit DHI-GRAS.COM or contact Head of Software and Technology Jonas Sølvsteen (JOSL@DHIGROUP.COM) + 45 4516 9479. Please tell us about your skills and about what motivates you to seek this position.
DHI are the first people you should call when you have a tough challenge to solve in a water environment – be it a river, a reservoir, an ocean, a coastline, within a city or a factory.
Our knowledge of water environments is second-to-none. It represents 50 years of dedicated research and real-life experience from more than 140 countries. We strive to make this knowledge globally accessible to clients and partners by channelling it through our local teams and unique software.
Our world is water. So whether you need to save water, share it fairly, improve its quality, quantify its impact or manage its flow, we can help. Our knowledge, combined with our team's expertise and the power of our technology, holds the key to unlocking the right solution.
For more information please visit www.dhigroup.com