Python developer for space data
Join us leveraging environmental data from space satellites and other sources for sustainable development in global ecosystems and water environments with clean and efficient software and cloud-native applications.
Our mission is to work for our blue planet. We excel in engineering and science for understanding and protecting the environment and managing resources sustainably for our clients and common good. As a global, 1100-people, not-for-profit organization of great credibility and respect in our industry, our goal is to have big impact on solving pressing environmental and societal challenges (https://dhigroup.com/sustainability)
Our work benefits global organizations like the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP), public bodies including municipalities and agencies, and research drivers such as the European Space Agency (ESA) and innovation funds. Often, we partner with other companies and work on advanced technical projects, for example with Google and Microsoft. Corporate social responsibility is something we take very seriously, both in our business and in the company culture. Find out more about our projects here.
As a Python developer for space data
You are part of a scrum team of six (and counting) developers, plus bright students. You develop cloud applications for processing and evaluating scientific data from space satellites and other sensors, involving computer models and machine learning / deep learning.
You can take a shaping role in projects and see your work quickly make an impact for users and clients. You collaborate closely with our remote sensing and modelling experts and data scientists to turn their great knowledge into efficient software.
You have a focus on clean and reusable code.
We imagine that you are a developer with around 3 years or more of experience in software development. You are proficient in Python.
- Join a small and dedicated scrum team of five (and counting) developers
- Develop data-centric cloud applications with data streams, APIs, and algorithms
- Take a shaping role in projects and see your work quickly make an impact for users
- Collaborate closely with our remote sensing experts and data analysts to turn their knowledge into efficient software
- Write clean and reusable code and strive for best practice and dev-friendliness
- Build on and contribute to open-source software and social coding
- Keep progressing and learning through knowledge exchange and sparring across the global company
- Experienced or bright early-career (aspiring) professional software developer
- Experienced with one or more programming paradigms, such as OOP or functional
- Proficient in Python
- Used to relational databases like Postgres
- Acquainted with deploying services in the cloud like Azure, AWS, or GCP
- Curious, self-driven, and a fast learner
- Proficient in English and good at communicating
- Experience with Python for data, like Numpy, SciPy, Scikit-learn, Pandas, Xarray, Rasterio, and web frameworks like FastAPI, Flask, or Django
- Experience with scrum
- Experience with machine learning
- Understanding of data flow automation and orchestration software like Prefect, Airflow, Dask
- Acquaintance with Kubernetes and experience with Docker
- Experience with CI/CD
- Understanding of infrastructure and configuration, e.g. with Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef
- Experience with physical scientific or geospatial data
- Flair for light-weight deployment, dev-friendliness, low-maintenance
Just to give you an idea: We work with Python for data science and data-centric microservice applications. TypeScript, React, and NodeJS for frontend and app logic. We rely on cloud services in Azure and AWS, sometimes GCP, depending on client needs. For dev-friendly, light-weight engineering, we prefer Kubernetes, serverless functions, and other high-level and managed services. Data flow orchestration we do with Prefect. We implement machine learning algorithms for images and time series analysis. We integrate data and machine learning with scientific computer models. But, seriously, no need to know all this already – even satellite data is not rocket science and, if you have a sense for it, you can pick up everything from us.
How to apply
- Please submit your application including CV via the relevant job posting on DHI’s website: https://www.dhigroup.com/careers
- We would like to get an impression of your talent, personality, and motivation, so you are welcome to keep your application short and anecdotal. Please let us know what you see in this position and what motivates you to seek it.
- For further information please visit https://www.dhigroup.com/ or contact Pantelis Kouris, Head of Data Engineering & Software Development (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Application deadline is 15 August 2022.
- We expect our new colleague to join us on 1 October 2022.
Expected start date: 01/10/2022
Position type: Full time
Job type: Software development and IT
DHI are the first people you should call when you have a tough challenge to solve in a water environment – be it a river, a reservoir, an ocean, a coastline, within a city or a factory.
Our knowledge of water environments is second-to-none. It represents 50 years of dedicated research and real-life experience from more than 140 countries. We strive to make this knowledge globally accessible to clients and partners by channelling it through our local teams and unique software.
Our world is water. So whether you need to save water, share it fairly, improve its quality, quantify its impact or manage its flow, we can help. Our knowledge, combined with our team's expertise and the power of our technology, holds the key to unlocking the right solution.
For more information please visit www.dhigroup.com